Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Akiko- Final Post

My goodness, I can't believe that the weeks passed by so quickly.

Before I came here, I knew that I wanted to work in the ocean, but I wasn't sure whether research was my thing. The only exposure that I'd had to research was in my science classes. I didn't think that I would enjoy microscopy very much, since I had generally found microscopy in my science labs to be rather boring. My viewpoint definitely changed as soon as I started my project. Looking at a prepared slide of dead organisms is not nearly as cool as looking at living organisms. I was constantly impressed with the abundance and the variety of life to be found on my little petri dishes. I was more dedicated and invested in my project than I expected to be, because it was *my* project-- no one was telling me what to do or what to look at.

I have had such a wonderful time here at the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology. I'm sad that the summer is over, but honestly thankful and happy to have had such a great opportunity to do research in marine science. I would highly recommend the COSEE PRIME program to any budding marine scientist.

No comments:

Post a Comment