Monday, July 25, 2011

Introduction to Bellingham Bay and Smugglers Slough Study

Lance Brockie
Blog #2
7/16/2011

This week of this internship I participated on a couple of projects, the first project being the Bellingham Bay Hypoxia Study with Dr. Apple where we measured dissolved oxygen levels in the bay as well as levels of chlorophyll and nutrient levels. Being that this is my second summer participating in this study I’m excited to see what’s going on in Bellingham Bay this summer compared to last summer. This year we are implementing depth profiles where we could measure the quality of the water from the bottom of the water all the way to the surface. As the summer progresses I’m excited to find out and see what’s going on with the water throughout the bay.
I also began collecting water samples at various locations along Smugglers Slough, which is a body of water that is located on the Lummi Indian Reservation. With these samples I will be measuring the levels of dissolved oxygen at various locations throughout the slough. My main focus throughout this study will be to try to determine if the oxygen levels in this particular slough are healthy or high enough to sustain juvenile salmon populations. This past year the Lummi Tribe reconnected the Smugglers Slough with the Nooksack River in hopes that by doing so juvenile salmon will utilize this particular body of water on the Lummi Reservation.
For the Smugglers Slough study I will be utilizing the YSI-556 meter to collect dissolved oxygen levels as well as temperature, conductivity, and pH levels. Also I will be measuring the dissolved oxygen levels utilizing the Winkler Testing Method to try to determine which is more accurate when testing for levels of dissolved oxygen. I must say that I am very excited and am looking forward to continuing with these studies in the weeks to come as I am learning more and more about water quality every day.

1 comment:

  1. Lance's work in Bellingham Bay last year revealed some interesting patterns in the progression of hypoxia throughout the summer. His data were a big part of the motivation for Sarah DeLand's PRIME project conducting a more intensive mapping of hypoxia this summer in Bellingham Bay. It is exciting to see how these these projects overlap.

    ReplyDelete