Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lance Brockie - Northwest Indian College Summer Project

First I’d like to start by introducing myself, my name is Lance Brockie I’m an enrolled member of the Gros Ventre tribe from north central Montana. I’m currently a senior attending Northwest Indian College where I’m hoping to be graduating this December with my bachelor’s degree in Native Environmental Science. After hearing of this particular internship I decided to apply for PRIME after seeing that one of the scientists who will be mentoring is Dr. Jude Apple. I had the privilege of working with Dr. Apple last summer on the Bellingham Bay Hypoxia Study here at Northwest Indian College. Throughout the summer I acquired huge amounts of knowledge while working under the tutelage of Dr. Apple. Dr. Apple makes learning fun and interesting as he really takes his time when teaching to ensure that the students really get a good understanding of what ever projects they might be working on. After working on the Bellingham Bay Hypoxia Study I took a strong interest in marine science, I came to the conclusion that the marine environment has so much to offer when it comes to learning about its varying and numerous ecosystems.

This summer I’ll be working with Dr. Apple once again in the Bellingham Bay Hypoxia Study as I’m looking forward to see what findings we will find over the summer sampling period. Also this summer I’m conducting my own study to determine if the Smugglers Slough ecosystem will be a suitable habitat for juvenile salmon in regards to the levels of dissolved oxygen levels at different location throughout the slough. When conducting my study I’ll be utilizing and comparing two testing methods. The first method will be utilizing the YSI-556 meter to check the levels of dissolved oxygen as well as other Meta data. The second testing method I’ll be utilizing will be the Winkler Method to determine the levels of dissolved oxygen using chemical reagents and titration. By comparing the two methods I’m hoping to determine what method is the most accurate when measuring levels of dissolved oxygen.

3 comments:

  1. I just had a good talk with Jude about COSEE details and he tells me you are doing a fine job with your project. Although I will not get to meet you this summer I am enjoying reading what you are doing by looking at your blog.
    Your project sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing the results when we connect for the final presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over 60 years ago the the Nooksack River was diverted from its customary path through Lummi/Red River basin, which supported it's own salmon run. Recently Lummi Natural Resources has started a project to breach a dike and return flow to this area. Lance's will be monitoring oxygen levels as flow returns to the Smugglers Slough and evaluate suitability for juvenile salmon. This is an exciting and valuable project he is working on. I look forward to updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Marine College professor, I found this post very useful for Marine students, keep posting info like this. Kindly let me know how to subscribe for this blog because i need regular marine updates like this from you. Keep touch with my websites bsc nautical science course in chennai | diploma in nautical science colleges

    ReplyDelete