Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mark Burnap, South Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve, OIMB

Hi, I am Mark Burnap. I am a COSEE/PRIME Intern this summer working for the South Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve (SSNERR) with mentor Dr. Steve Rumrill. The project I am working on with Steve and others at South Slough is to restore native Olympia oysters (Ostrea lurida) to the South Slough and Coos Bay Estuaries. I am a student at Southwestern Oregon Community College (SOCC) here in Coos Bay, and have been granted additional transfer credits to work toward my Bachelors Degree in either Natural Resources or Marine Biology in the fall. My main interests are in Marine Biology, the Marine Sciences, and Geology. In short, I've always loved learning and science. Having worked as a commercial fisherman, I would like to put my knowledge and experience of the sea and vessels to work in the study of the ocean. The reasons I applied for the PRIME Internship Program are my interest in the ocean and the encouragement of my Biology teacher at SOCC Robert Fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment