Monday, July 8, 2013

Kaylynne Marquez - Week Two

Hello!

Dr. Alan Shanks has been away since Friday, June 28th and will be gone until Thursday, July 11th. However, I have been photographing nearly every experience this past week and would like to share them with everyone. Enjoy!

Here I am counting the number of cyprids on Plate 1 at Bastendorff beach (Payton and I do this daily).
Plates 2 and 3 (at Bastendorff)
Some of the larger organisms caught in our light trap, collected daily, off of dock F
(Juvenile C.magister, amphipods and isopods).

This is my lab station, where I view the daily light trap catch under a dissecting scope and count everything on the list (a majority of what you see on the plate under the scope are C.magister megalopae).

 The students and interns have gathered for multiple bonfires, hikes and sunsets in our free time. The people here at OIMB are incredible.

  Happy Fourth of July! We had a bonfire on a tucked away cove at Bastendorff and enjoyed the firework show from afar.

The morning after the 4th of July celebration, a group of us jumped into my truck and headed back to Bastendorff to volunteer for the Surfrider Foundation beach cleanup. We filled a whole truck bed in just two hours!

In addition to checking Dr. Shanks field sites, we have been assisting the Shanks Lab graduate students with their field work. Marley Jarvis, a PhD candidate, is researching how nearshore fronts affect larval dispersal, migration and recruitment. Payton (above) and I (below) are counting cyprids at Marley's field sites at Norton's Gulch.


Payton and I (on top of the world!) before our descent to Marley's barnacle sites at Shore Acres.

On Sunday, a group of us drove out to Powers, OR for a hike.
Left to right: Zac, Christy, Will, Hannah and Payton on our hike to Elk Creek Falls & Big Tree Park.
Me & Payton
Today, I helped Marley drill new sites for algae plates.

Here is Marley mixing the epoxy.

After I drilled the sites, she smeared the epoxy onto the rock. Then, a base was pushed into the drilled hole, through the epoxy, for which we can screw in plates once the epoxy has dried.

Its rise and shine, bright and early tomorrow morning! Marley and I will head back out to the site at low tide to attach the algae plates and wait for it to settle! Pictures of the settling algae will be posted next week.

2 comments:

  1. Kaylynne,
    Let me know how you are recording data. I always want to improve the research I do in Intro Bio and would like to give students a real-life data collection experience.

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey! I have a whole PPT that I presented at the end of the summer here at OIMB which goes into detail about the methods used to collect data! I'll send you an e-mail and attach the PPT. If you would like, I could come into the class and present it at some point during Fall term. It would be good to promote COSEE at LCC too.

      Delete